Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Special Victims Unit

"In the criminal justice system, sexualy based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the special victims unit. These are their stories."


I did that from memory, which I'm pretty proud of! Heh, I know... a minimal accomplishment at best.

Anyway, what do I like about this show? Well, first of all, there is such great chemistry between the main actors, something I think the other incarnations of Law and Order lack. Personally, I think this is largely due to Mariska Hargitay (who plays Olivia Benson), because she seems to have chemistry with everyone who ever appears on that show. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I happen to find her very attractive.

The stories, for the most part, are well written, if a little gut wrenching -- but they always get the bad guy so it's satisfying (and believe me, there are no worse bad guys on TV than the bad guys on this show!).

Now, this show isn't perfect. I'm not a huge fan of Ice T being on the show. I've seen him in interviews, so I know that's just the way he talks, but the way he talks just sounds like bad acting to me. Oh, and I don't really like the new D.A. I'm warming up to her, but no one is as good as Alex Cabot (Stephanie March). Of course, again, this could be because I find her really attractive -- but that may just be the glasses (well, that and her fierce bone structure!), I have the same thing with Tina Fey. I was really excited to see Alex Cabot back when Conviction was on, but that show only lasted for about a month or so before getting canned. Hmmm, I wonder if that was Dick Wolfe's first flop?

Anyway, enough about that. I'll go back to Mariska for a minute, just so I can link to her webpage. I found it so fascinating when I first found it because it's pretty much the exact opposite of what I think Olivia Benson's webpage would be... not that I go around imagining the webpages of fictional characters, but... well, if you watch the show, check it out. It's all frilly and girly. It was just a bit of a shock. Anyway, it's also interesting to look around her site because it's obvious how being on SVU has impacted her life. She has founded one charity of her own and supports a lot of charities that help victims of sexual assault, and I think that's pretty cool.

Anyway, that's enough about this show... this is pretty rambling, I know, but it's my first post on this site and I just felt like writing what I thought... and I think I'll probably stick to that. Not sure anyone will read this anyway.

No comments: