Friday, July 13, 2007

Movie Theater Concession Lines

Okay, so this is a pet peeve that came up recently when I went to see Transformers at the theater. It’s not anything in-depth really, but why oh why do the lines for popcorn have to take so long? It’s going to sound like I’m exaggerating, but I waited in line for my popcorn and drink for 30 minutes… for them to scoop popcorn into a bag and hand me a bottle of water… 30 minutes… at least! I got the theater at least half an hour early and missed the first 10 minutes or so of my movie… and that’s with the huge amount of previews (and commercials) that they show now. Luckily it was Transformers and didn’t require me to concentrate a lot on the “plot”. Cool robots blowing stuff up. That’s about it.

I just don’t understand how you can go to McDonald’s and have a meal (an albeit entirely unhealthy one) cooked and bagged for you in 5 minutes, yet the bloody popcorn in a bag takes forever.

Of course, it was the line that took so long, not the actually scooping of my popcorn. For some reason, the popcorn line always moves so slowly, and I just can’t figure out where the lack of efficiency is. The popcorn is already made, the drink dispensers are usually right beside the cashier, the candy dispenser is right below them (usually)… so what are they doing that takes so long? I don’t get it. And it annoys me every time.

No comments: