Thursday, July 12, 2007

Criminal Intent

This used to be my least favourite incarnation of Law and Order, but I find I'm liking it more and more... and it's not the new detectives, because I find I miss Goran and Eames when they are not there. I don't really have much to say about the show itself, the structure is completely different from the other two Law and Orders, but it's always interesting to watch Vincint D'Onofrio (Detective Goram) work... he's just so intense!

I will say one thing about the show though... have you listened to the preamble?
"In New York City's war on crime, the worst criminal offenders are pursued by the members of the Major Case Squad"
Again, that's from memory, and I don't think I have it exactly right, but I've got the gist. Anyway, the preamble bothers me because of you watch the show, what becomes clear is that it isn't the "worst crimal offendors" (I would argue that those offenders are over on SVU), it's the offenders that have the most press... the ones that go after the rich and famous, or in some other way grab the attention of the media (or the pretend media that exists in the Law and Order world). So... yeah, that bothers me.

Another random note about this show is that apparantly my grandfather knew the actress (Kathryn Erbe) who plays Detective Eames. While I was living with my aunt and uncle in Belize, we watched a lot of Law and Order and I was informed of this fact every damn time this show was on. No one ever mentioned how he knew her, or if he knew her well or maybe just met her once... and I never really asked -- although now that I think about it, I'm kinda curious.

Another side note... as I mentioned, I didn't used to like this show, but I kept watching it because I couldn't help but like Detective Goram. Now, he's just a likeable character, but there was more than that... I found him comforting... and it took me ages to realize why. I can't find a copy of this scene without the Queen music in the background... but do you remember this?

This is from one of my all time favourite 80's movies, Adventures in Babysitting where D'Onofrio played "Thor, God of Thunder"... or maybe just a mechanic. Either way, it was the reason I immedietely liked his character.

And while I'm being nostagic, I'll put another scene (my favourite scene) from that classic movie (that has nothing to do with Law and Order, but it's my blog so shut up!). Enjoy.

No comments: